Monday, August 25, 2003

you've hit oil already. why are you still drilling?
*title shamelessly stolen from alex and emma

there was so much fear in me so i kept trying to bail out. i guess it would have been more comforting if you were evil or you were hateful. i guess it would be easier if i didn't delude myself into thinking you and i had it good and there was something there that i've never found elsewhere.
I found the pieces in my hand
They were always there
It just took some time for me to understand
You gave me words I just can't say
So if nothing else
I'll just hold on while you drift away


but then i had to be me. i had to be the kid who constantly tugs at your arms to sit up and take notice. i wanted you to like me so bad that one day the real me just came out. and you hated it.
Cause everything you wanted me to hide
Is everything that makes me feel alive


i remember telling you four months. i usually give up after four months. i usually throw my hands up and move on. you told me, okay, it shouldn't be a problem, just so long as it doesn't happen on your birthday. your birthday is two and half months away. i'm still here. you're almost gone
The cities grow the rivers flow
Where you are I'll never know
But I'm still here
If you were right and I was wrong
Why are you the one who's gone
And I'm still here
I'm still here


you'd laugh at the things i do so as not to give in to that urge to bug you. i've deleted your number from my phone book so many times just so i don't go on texting you marathon messages. i've hidden my phone, watched crappy tv shows, even went out to give blood. anything just to quit thinking of you even for one single minute.

and when it all came crashing down on me, i couldn't put myself together. i couldn't be the independent girl you first liked. i couldn't be indifferent. i couldn't just walk away.
You've seen the ashes in my heart
You smile the widest when I cry inside and my insides blow apart
I try to wear another face
Just to make you proud
Just to make you put me in my place


i'm sorry. i'm sorry for bugging you day and night. i'm sorry for long phone calls that don't go anywhere. i'm sorry because i just couldn't relax.
But everything you wanted from me
Is everything that I could never be


had to take the day off to pick up the pieces of what used to be me. i sat in my desk. i slept. i forgot about food and taking a bath and everything else. all that mattered was how i was going to make it out of the door tomorrow a better person. all that mattered was to figure out a way for me to walk out room 117 with a smile, confidence once again intact, and a belief that the world is still a good place to be in
Maybe tonight it's gonna be alright
I will get better
Maybe today it's gonna be okay
I will remember


i know i bugged you again. i turned you off again with the non-stop questions, with me asking "why" and "why not" at every turn. i kept thinking if you would only say "yes" then things would be fine again. i thought that the answers were all in your court. i believed that all i had to do was to make you see it for what they were. but nothing i said made you change your mind.
I held the pieces of my soul
I was shattered
And I wanted you to come and make me whole
Then I saw you yesterday
But you didn't notice
You just walked away

Cause everything you wanted me to hide
Is everything that makes me feel alive


i think i've finally figured it out. sit still. i've hit oil. but i'm still drilling, and i'm driving you nuts.

i don't want you to walk away, although you may very well have already.
The lights go out the bridges burn
Once you go you can't return
But I'm still here
Remember how you used to say
I'd be the one to run away
But I'm still here


for once, i'm not going anywhere.

if you can't recognize the lines in between, they're from vertical horizon's "i'm still here". it's an amazing song.

0 said hello!:

Related Posts with Thumbnails