Wednesday, May 26, 2004

my lifetime addiction to syzgy

i had just turned 21 when i discovered syzgy. now, if you weren't a alas-singco-y-medya fan way back in the '90s, you wouldn't really know what i was talking about, or even if you were, you had to be awake at around 6:45 to be able to relate.

you see, syzgy is the horoscope section, hosted by this rubenesque lady with a thick braid who goes by the name zenaida seva (i think i spelled it correctly...but then again me and spelling have had this thing for the last couple of years). i never really took it seriously but there was no reason on earth that anyone could make me leave the house before i got my horoscope for the day. my mom used to laugh at me because of this addiction but then a little fun never hurt anyone and so she let me be.

after i went to law school and television at 6:00 in the morning became an unheard of thing especially when one stays in a UP dormitory, syzgy became something akin to your tenth pair of black pumps. one day, you just forget all about it until you do a major general cleaning and spy them peeking from underneath a chair in the bodega.

similarly, one day i found myself with the television on, at 6:45 in the morning, preparing to go to work, when who else but my favorite horoscope queen pops up on the television. the show may not be ASYM anymore, julius and tintin left the show, got married, and came back, and wish ko lang lady switched channels, but by golly, zenaida seva looks exactly the same way she did 6 years ago.

i have gained more weight than i care to have, found and lost loves that i never really needed to begin with, and am in the last year of law school. i've learned to drive, rearranged the furniture at home countless of times, and reduced my savings account to a pathetic amount just to make car and insurance payments. i've grown wiser over the years. and what do you know, my favorite horoscope lady is still around dishing advice, telling me that pink is the color of the day and six is my lucky number.

0 said hello!:

Related Posts with Thumbnails