Friday, December 11, 2020

seven years later

My last post was 7 years ago. I don't even know if people still blog - or if people have the patience to read blogs but here I am writing on the online journal that sustained me throughout my angsty quarter-life crisis. 

I started writing here when I was a law student who held a day job as a university teacher. I was in my 20s,   there was no such thing as Instagram yet, and anonymity was the name of the game. This tiny slice of the internet changed identities so much - identities that reflected the person I was at that time. I remember being someone going through the ups and downs of what essentially was a first job to a girl who had the energy to run after the bus in heels (!) to someone who finally achieved her lifelong dream of driving and owning her own car. I think I got stuck with cardriver only because after that I wasn't blogging as much anymore. 

Incidentally, my first car was the green lancer GLXI that I inherited from my mom when she migrated to the US. That car got replaced by Spike who I had for more than 7 years, then Diego, Datu, Cardo, and presently, P'Dol. By the way - this cardriver has also developed the ability to drive on the opposite side of the road. Yay, me.

As I said, I doubt if anyone will be reading this. Everything's on YouTube these days. Back in the day, blogs were online journals - the kind that made everyone feel like their own version of Doogie Howser, MD (before Neil Patrick Harris was on How I Met Your Mother, he was this child genius who ended the show by writing a journal entry on his computer). I also think I've lost the ability to write here - online journals gave way to food bloggers, fashion bloggers, and all these newfangled, very niche spaces online, while here I am trying to recapture the freedom that came from broadcasting my thoughts to strangers who happened to stumble upon this page. 

By the way - some of those strangers eventually became real people, friends even. Amazing isn't it.

Anyway, I am ending this entry for now. No such thing as like and subscribe on blogger ... just a fervent wish that even without a whole lot of shameless self-promotion, people would come, read, and leave a comment or two. And that they'd share your journey with you.

1 said hello!:

toni.angeli said...

Wow! for some reason felt compelled to type this url! Hello!
I'm not sure, but I think we were in the grad school dorm and/or law school at about the same time. I think.

Related Posts with Thumbnails